GETTING TO KNOW LAURA
• 52 years old, 26-year Austinite, 20-year property owner, Wife, Mother
• University of Texas at Austin Alumni, Ph.D. in Chemistry
• Entrepreneur, Small Business Owner
• 17-year Semiconductor Engineering and Management Professional and hold four U.S. Patents
• Survivor of Domestic Violence and Advocate for Funding Survivor Services
• Honored by KTBC as an Austin Defender
• Recipient of Woman of Wisdom Award
• Lover of gardening & classic cars (she and her husband own a 1931 Model A Ford & 1950 Packard
• Born in Fort Worth and was raised in Mansfield, Texas
HOW LAURA IS SERVING DISTRICT 4
• Saved $4 million in fees & waste at City Hall in last year
• Restore Rundberg Revitalization Team Designee
• Windsor Hills Neighborhood Association President
• Creator & Editor of North East Neighborhood Newsletter
• Created neighborhood scholarships for Reagan Seniors
• Austin Neighborhoods Council Executive Committee
• Past Board Member & Chair Elect of SafePlace
• Austin Independent Business Alliance Member
• Helping neighbors resolve City issues
"I've served a wide variety of roles that have prepared me to support and represent District 4
I respectfully ask for your vote to put me in the District 4 City Council seat this November."
As a neighborhood advocate focused on affordability and cutting waste in City Hall, I collaborated with fellow Austinites and a few allies on the City Council to defeat an incoming fee waiver initiative and returned $1.5 million to us the taxpayers. Watch the video summarizing the events.
Also, we are calling for a 20% City of Austin Homestead Exemption and propose to pay for it by cutting corporate subsidies, not city services. Here is our proposal.
As President of the Windsor Hills Neighborhood Association, I led the way to create a 12-page newsletter, the North East Neighbor. It connects neighbors and local businesses in the Rundberg area east of I-35.
Education is an important way to address crime and poverty. Funds from our newsletter provide scholarships to local high school students.
As lead on the Code Compliance for the Restore Rundberg Revitalization Team, we are ensuring the City's Code priorities are aligned with our neighborhood's health and safety concerns.
We also participate with the Austin Police Department to do clean ups in the Rundberg area and support APD's initiatives for Walking Beats of officers in the crime hot spots along Rundberg. All of our Team's efforts are directed toward reducing crime and improving the quality of life in the Rundberg area.
As an Executive Committee Member of the Austin Neighborhoods Council, and a member of the Land Development Code Rewrite Subcommittee, I help ensure that development occurs in our neighborhoods and along activity corridors as was intended by our community.
As a former Board Member and Chair Elect for SafePlace, our Travis County Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Center Survivor's Center and, as a survivor of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, I am very much aware of the needs of District 4 as one of the largest populations experiencing Domestic Violence in Austin.
I have testified to the Austin City Council, Texas Senate and Texas House Legislative Committee for governmental funding to support preventative solutions and direct services to survivors.
From the professional side, I worked in the semiconductor industry for 17 years as an engineer and business group manager with responsibilities of leading teams in Austin, Malaysia, and China. Our teams consistently exceeded cost control goals while maintaining quality standards as well as our customer satisfaction and expectations. I hold four United States Patents on semiconductor technology and am coauthor or numerous peer reviewed technical papers. Also, I am a small business owner and used my Ph.D. in Chemistry to develop a benchmark process for purifying rainwater for health conscious and chemically sensitive customers.
I understand the challenges associated with running a large corporation and a local business and how both need to be financially efficient with investments. I have the drive, the experience and the leadership skills needed at City Hall to bring people together to reduce unnecessary spending and misguided budget priorities. I respectfully ask for your vote.